Proxim FastConnect™ is a Proxim Wireless technology that delivers high-performance wireless connectivity between ground-based radios and moving vehicles at speeds up to 295 km/h or 185 mph. Proxim FastConnect™ enables Proxim Point to Multipoint platforms to supply high throughput real-time data backhaul from moving vehicles.
This mobility solution enables a breadth of on-the-move use cases, including but not limited to:
- Remote video surveillance Backhaul
- Entertainment and Information content delivery
- Computer-based control systems such as CBTC.
- Mobile Crane communications and management for container terminals
- Mobile Communications for the Mining Industry
- Maintaining communications between oil and gas rigs and Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO)
or Floating Liquefied Natural Gas (FLNG) vessels.
Key advantages of Proxim FastConnect™ solution are:
- Low cost of connectivity associated with unlicensed radio systems, with no data caps and zero ongoing or monthly network access costs.
- Dedicated and secure high throughput over the air transmission.
- Advanced QoS to ensure uninterrupted and jitter-free transmission of critical data flows.
The FastConnect Roaming feature continuously monitors the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and current data rate on the vehicle SU for all the frames received from the connected BSU. When the SNR or Data rate reaches a lower threshold, the SU scans for another BSU with better signal strength. When multiple BSU options exist, the SU connects to the BSU with the most robust signal.
Proxim FastConnect™ provides MAC-level connectivity to the SU as it roams from one BSU to another. FastConnect supports session persistence through extremely fast handoffs and data buffering during the actual handoff period. The combination of fast handoffs and buffering means an application experiences zero packet loss during a handover from one BSU to the next, a critical feature for applications such as onboard video security or VoIP sessions.